Thursday, August 10, 2017

Amaryllis' Reflection on Borja School

The following reflection was written by ABL's Amaryllis Lopez, after our final day at the Borja School, Tuesday August 8, 2017. Check out many pictures on Facebook

Ingeniero Guillermo Borja Nathan School you have stolen my heart. Thank you for opening up your class time, your hearts, and yourselves to poetry. Thank you to Dennis and Daniela and the rest of their classmates for making me feel like home. Thank you for getting to know me, asking questions about my life, asking permission to touch my hair (people in the US lack manners I'll tell you that much), in all they made me feel like I was catching up with old friends. In return I got to know more about you guys and the lives you live, your dreams, your hopes, and even the things you're scared of. Thank you for letting me teach, learn, grow, and write beside you. I went in with the notion that I wouldn't take photos or videos of the students to respect their space but they wanted me to share their stories, their voices, and faces with everyone I know. These kids go to school in the middle of two gangs and the narrative around their city and themselves never include their own experiences. Today they wrote poems about peace, community, hope, love, and most importantly themselves. We posted our poetry on our own little gallery walls posted in the 4 classes that I thought with Enrique and Lorena. Thank you for all the hugs, smiles, tears, and selfies. Te quiero mucho, Apopa 

No comments:

Post a Comment